Recipe by Barb G.
Ham, zucchini, mushrooms and cheese flavor this rich, hearty egg dish. It adds appeal to a breakfast or lunch buffet and cuts easily, too. Enough for a crowd or cut the recipe in halve as this recipe makes 2 casseroles(8 servings each).
Top Review by Melissa B.
We have made this for Christmas morning 5 years now. We absolutely love it and so do our guests- some of them are picky too! We've always started by sticking to the recipe but depending on the year we've actually had to whip up more mid-morning. We've substituted and/or added different vegetables like spinach and potato and also done the same with the meat. Ham is my favorite but it's good with bacon and sausage too. Love, love, love this recipe!
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cups cooked ham
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 12 eggs
- 4 cups day-old bread
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (12 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, zucchini, ham, onions, green peppers, and garlic in olive oil until vegetables are tender; drain and pat dry; and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl; beat cream cheese and cream until smooth; beat in eggs.
- Stir in bread, cheese, salt, pepper and vegetable mixture.
- Pour into TWO (2) greased 11-inch x 7-inch x 2-inch baking dishes.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Note: Vegetables & ham can be prepared the day before, also cream cheese, cream & eggs, refrigerate; Then put together before baking.