Recipe by English_Rose
Bring a bit of sun into your life with this flavorsome chicken stew. just saw this on a Gary Rhodes show, it looks fantastic. Times does not include marinating.
- 12 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- 1 lime, juice only
- 3 scallions, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 sprigs thyme, enough to give 1 tsp leaves
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay the chicken thighs in a non metallic dish so they are in one layer as much as possible.
- Squeeze over the lime juice and add the scallions, garlic, soy sauce, onion, thyme and tomatoes. Season well and mix everything together. Leave everything to marinate for 2 hours, or overnight if you can.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the marinating mixture and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan set over a moderate heat. Fry the chicken pieces, turning frequently, until the chicken is golden.
- Spoon over the reserved marinating mixture, stir in the tomato ketchup, and add about 1/2 cup hot water – or enough to barely cover the chicken. Cover the pan and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is tender.
- Serve with rice and peas, plain steamed rice or pasta.