Recipe by MobaraMeg
I couldn't find a recipe that was exactly what I was looking for, so I came up with this using ingredients on hand. Any leftover stuffing can be baked in a small casserole along side the stuffed zucchinis. Even my picky children liked the results. Next time I'll use more zucchinis.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled and seeded, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme (or your favorite fresh or dried herb)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim zucchinis and cut in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, carefully scoop out the zucchini pulp leaving the shells about 1/4 inch thick and set aside.
- Roughly chop zucchini pulp.
- Saute onions, pepper, and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini pulp and pecans and continue to saute about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato, rice, thyme, salt and pepper, and stir gently to combine all the ingredients.
- Stuff reserved zucchini halves with rice mixture and top with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Place zucchinis in a small, shallow casserole dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, and return to oven for about 10 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned and bubbly.