Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was adopted way back in 2005 or so. I haven't tried it but intend to in the next couple of weeks. Looks very good.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces and rub with salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 red chilies
- 1 ginger (thumb size)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon black soy sauce
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised or 1 stalk grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons limes or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Fry chicken pieces in oil until golden brown.
- Remove and place on a rack.
- Pound together onion, chilies, garlic and ginger, fry them in remaining oil until fragrant. Mix with tomato paste, sugar and soy sauce and marinate chicken pieces in mixture for an hour.
- Broil chicken on rack, basting frequently with marinade and bruised lemon grass.
- Broil for 25 minutes, turning over once and squeeze lemon juice over before serving.