Broiled Chipotle Chicken With Creamy Spinach
photo by Ms B.
- Ready In:
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 1 1/4 cups whipping cream (I use creme fraiche) or 1 1/4 cups creme fraiche (I use creme fraiche)
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of all extraneous fat (about 1-1/3 pounds total)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 6 cups spinach, stemmed, well rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Marinating the chicken: Combine the chopped canned chipotles with 2 tablespoons of the cream.
- Smear over the chicken breasts, cover and refrigerate for several hours, if time permits, for the chilies to season the chicken.
- Finishing the dish: Lay the chicken breasts in a broiler-proof baking dish just large enough to hold them comfortably.
- Set 6 inches below a very hot broiler and cook until richly brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn the breasts over, drizzle the remaining 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cream around them and set under the broiler.
- Cook until the chicken is deep golden and no longer squishy feeling when lightly pressed, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to 4 warm dinner plates and keep warm in a low oven.
- Scrape the cream mixture into a medium-large (3- to 4- quart) saucepan and add the broth and the spinach.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring nearly constantly, until the spinach is wilted and the cream is reduced and thick, about 3 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt, then spoon around the chicken breasts and serve right away.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Simply outstanding! I made this dish without the spinach due to family preference. I also added 3 teaspoons of the chipotle sauce to the finished cream and chipotle sauce, and I used heavy whipping cream. I served the chicken over yellow rice and spooned the sauce over the top. The chicken was very tender with a crispier crust from the broiling, and the sauce was very creamy with a bite from the chipotles. My family was very impressed with this dish and voted a 5 stars 'round the table. A keeper, we will be having this often. Thanks so much!
This is incredible! I guess there's a reason why Rick Bayless has his own show :) I used whipping cream, even though I probably could have found creme fraiche here in Arizona. I steamed some rice on the side, but it really wasn't needed, as this was a very filling dish. I think next time I am going to double the spinach and sauce, because we were all licking our plates wishing there was more! This recipe deserves more than 5 stars, they just don't do it justice!
see 22 more reviews