Recipe by JanetSmith154
My mom used to make this for us when we were kids- I have even made it using browned chicken breasts for a full meal. This makes a ton and is great for a crowd. My mom always bought a 1 lb block of Velveeta and cubed 1/2 pound of it, and sliced up the other 1/4 pound, but if you can find the shredded velveeta - that's a great time saver! Prep time does not include rice cooking time.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 lb processed cheese, such as Velveeta
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a deep skillet, add onion and saute till soft.
- To the onions add the cream of chicken soup, milk, and 1/2 pound of the velveeta (chunked).
- Fold in 3 cups of cooked rice, and the broccoli.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
- Slice remaining 1/4 pound velveeta and place over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 F for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.