Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom used to make this for us when we were kids- I have even made it using browned chicken breasts for a full meal. This makes a ton and is great for a crowd. My mom always bought a 1 lb block of Velveeta and cubed 1/2 pound of it, and sliced up the other 1/4 pound, but if you can find the shredded velveeta - that's a great time saver! Prep time does not include rice cooking time.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 lb processed cheese, such as Velveeta
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- Melt butter in a deep skillet, add onion and saute till soft.
- To the onions add the cream of chicken soup, milk, and 1/2 pound of the velveeta (chunked).
- Fold in 3 cups of cooked rice, and the broccoli.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
- Slice remaining 1/4 pound velveeta and place over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 F for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Wonderful - so easy and tasty! Thank you for posting!
This recipe is the best!! Just what I was looking for as a side dish. I cook a lot and usually use herbs and spices but wanted something tasty and basic to go with Tucsan dried tomato baked chicken and this was perfect!!! I also usually tweak every recipe but this one is perfect just as it is. Only had cheddar but am going to try next time with Velveeta. Thank you.
This was great!!!! Brought back a ton of childhood memories!! Thanks!