Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I marked this recipe 'keeper'. It is from the malt-o-meal site. A lovely creamy soup with lumps of broccoli in it. Delicious and nutritious.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into bite-size florets
- 1⁄2 cup Malt-o-Meal original hot cereal, uncooked
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package processed cheese, cut into small cubes (such as Velveeta or Velveeta Light)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In soup pot or large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, till tender, 4 minutes.
- Add broth, water, and broccoli. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, till broccoli is tender, 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir in cereal; continue simmering, stirring occasionally, till thickened, 3 minutes.
- Stir in milk and heat through.
- Remove from heat and add cheese and pepper; stir till cheese melts.
- Place half of soup in blender or processor; pulse till smooth.
- Return mixture to pot with remaining soup and heat through.
- Serve with crusty bread.