Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Got this from the old TSR recipe board
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 ounces red onions, sliced thin or chopped
- 3 ounces raisins
- 3 ounces sunflower seeds
- 8 ounces mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- salt and pepper
- Combine broccoli, onions, raisins, and sunflower seeds, set aside.
- Combine mayo, sugar, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Fold dressing into salad mixture.
- Add bacon just before serving.
I have made this salad many times. It is very nice without bacon. But if you insist on bacon don't ruin the recipe with bacos. 2-3 spring onion is nice and mild replacement for red onion. making both salad and dressing ahead of time helps blend the flavors. however, don't add the dressing till just before serving or salad can become too "wet". does not make a good left over salad. the amount of dressing called for in this recipe is enough to double up on the broccoli and grapes. sunflower seeds should be roasted and salted. i have also made with optional 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt added to dressing which is nice. white pepper to taste, but no need for additional salt.
Delicious! I omitted the raisins and used only a teaspoon of sugar since I like it a little less sweet. I can't wait to make it again. Thank you so much!