Great "what's in the fridge?" recipe, easy to prepare with just a few fresh ingredients. From the HungryMonster website. Check back soon for alterations. 11/21/05- You can use florets too, but they won't be thoroughly processed so be careful not to inhale, even though it's yummy. Enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (not olive) or 1 tablespoon walnut oil, etc (not olive)
- 2 cups fresh broccoli stems, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely choppped (3/4 tsp dried, crushed)
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced (1 med)
- 1 cup red cooking apple, peeled and diced (2 small)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 4 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth (I use veggie)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Heat oil in large pot with lid.
- Add broccoli, thyme, onion, apple and celery.
- Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
- Add stock and pepper, cook 30 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Puree 1 cup at a time in blender or food processor.
- Serve hot or chilled, garnished with a dollop of yogurt and sprinkling of minced parsley. Makes 5 1/2 cups.
I love the flavors in this soup! I used diced broccoli flowerets AND stems and I used veggie broth as you suggest you do. I dalloped with fat free sour cream intead of yogurt; I them just took my spoon and mixed it in...yum! It is also good with a little cheese sprinkled in. I will make this again. Thanx for sharing!