This is a very hearty soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 ounces smoked beef sausage or 8 ounces kielbasa, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, crushed
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, sliced
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups bite size broccoli florets
- 3 cups bite size cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- crushed caraway seed
- 1Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add sausage and sauté until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes.
- 3Using slotted spoon, remove sausage from pan.
- 4Add onions and 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds.
- 5Sprinkle with pepper.
- 6Reduce heat to medium low and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Mix in potatoes.
- 8Add broth and bay leaf.
- 9Simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally and breaking up potatoes with spoon, about 25 minutes.
- 10(Can be prepared 1 day ahead, cover and refrigerate sausage and soup separately. Bring soup to simmer over medium heat before continuing). Add broccoli and cauliflower to soup and simmer until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- 11Stir in cream and sausage, simmer until heated through.
- 12Add cheese and mix until melted.
- 13Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 14Discard bay leaf.
- 15Sprinkle with caraway seeds and serve.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Soup With Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (646 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 856.8
- Calories from Fat 505
- Total Fat 56.1 g
- Saturated Fat 29.5 g
- Cholesterol 148.8 mg
- Sodium 1071.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 34.7 g