Recipe by spatchcock
I haven't tried this yet but am on a big seafood kick since our honeymoon on the east coast! I think this would make a great fondue and plan to adapt it in that way.
- 1 medium leek (white part only)
- 1 medium vidalia onion
- 1⁄2 cup drained canned artichoke heart
- 1⁄2 cup thawed frozen chopped spinach
- 1 lb brie cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup riesling wine or 1⁄4 cup other medium-dry white wine
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaf
- 1 lb fresh jumbo lump crab meat (which would be my only option here in Indiana!) or 1 lb imitation crabmeat (which would be my only option here in Indiana!)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, to taste
- toasted thin slices baguette (for serving)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F and lightly oil an 11-inch gratin or other shallow baking dish (about 6-cup).
- Trim and finely chop leek.
- In a large bowl of water wash leek well and lift from water into a large sieve to drain.
- Finely chop onion.
- Rinse and finely chop artichoke hearts.
- Squeeze dry and finely chop spinach.
- Discard rind from Brie and cut into 1/4-inch pieces.
- In a heavy skillet cook leek, onion, and garlic in oil over moderate heat, stirring, until pale golden and stir in artichoke hearts and spinach.
- Add wine and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Add cream and simmer, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add Brie, stirring until it just begins to melt.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir herbs into mixture.
- In a large bowl stir together crab meat, mustard, Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste and stir in cheese mixture.
- Spread mixture evenly in baking dish and bake in middle of oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve dip hot with toasts.