Recipe by Shuzbud
This is a lovely breakfast that I adapted from a recipe on the back of a gravy mix packet.
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
Quick to assemble, easy and delish--I love it! I made it for a brunch for 12 so I tripled the recipe using one 13 x 9 pan and one 8 x 8. It was a great hearty meal served with toast and fresh fruit, and everyone from the toddlers to the adults gobbled it up. I used turkey sausage and about 1 1/2 c total 2% cheddar cheese. The only complaint I have is that the recipe took longer to bake than stated here, which I expected from the larger pan but not from the 8 x 8. They were both in the oven for about an hour. I can see adding all sorts of goodies to this, like mushrooms or onions or peppers...and I know I will make it again to give that a try! Thanks, Shuzbud, for giving us a great recipe for DD's christening brunch! Made for PRMR.
- 1 (2 3/4 ounce) package country gravy mix
- 3 cups tater tots, thawed
- 1⁄2 lb sausage, casings removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- In a skillet, cook the sausage for 2 minutes, breaking it up with the spatula as it cooks.
- Add the tater tots and cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes until the sausage is cooked through and the tater tots are golden brown. (If you use low fat sausage you may need to add a little oil or cooking spray so the tater tots do not stick).
- In a separate container, gradually whisk the gravy mix into the water. Then beat the eggs into the gravy.
- Lay out the tater tot and sausage mixture evenly over the base of a tall 8x8 or 10x6 baking tray.
- Pour the gravy and egg mixture over the top.
- Put in the oven to cook for 20-25 minutes until the filling is set in the center.
- When fully cooked, remove from the oven, sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake for another 3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm!