Recipe by NoSpringChicken
This Southern Bread Pudding is luscious. Be sure to serve the bourbon sauce while it is slightly warm. Quite often, this is our family's choice of holiday desserts. This came from an old southern cookbook many years ago.
Top Review by ItalianMomof2
Absolutely Delicious! I made the bread pudding using a 16 ounce loaf of Cinnamon raisin bread instead of the french bread and it was soooo good. I didn't add any extra raisins and it came out perfect. The bourbon sauce was to die for! Thanks so much for posting this recipe! 10 stars if i could! -Italianmomof2
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (16 oz.)
- 4 cups milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine bread and milk in a large mixing bowl; set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, sugar, raisins, butter and vanilla; stir well.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 3 quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325°F for 1 hour or until firm.
- Cool in pan at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Spoon into individual serving bowls; serve with Bourbon Sauce.
- Bourbon Sauce: Combine butter and sugar in a small saucepan; cook over medium, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves.
- Add egg, stirring briskly with a wire whisk until well blended.
- Cook over medium heat 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly; stir in bourbon.