Old Fashion Bread Pudding With Caramel Sauce
- Ready In:
- 7 cups white bread or 7 cups egg bread, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups half and half milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- Place the bread cubes in a 9 x 13 buttered glass pan.
- Sprinkle the raisins over the bread.
- Drizzle on the melted butter, do not mix into the bread cubes and raisins.
- Set this aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until broken up and blend in the sugars, nutmeg, half and half and the milk.
- DO NOT OVER BEAT THIS MIXTURE JUST COMBINE.
- Pour the mixture over the cubes and raisins and let it all soak in, gently patting the bread down into the milk every now and then.
- Sprinkle the top with a grating of more nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the pudding for 50 minutes, checking about the 40 minute mark, that its not getting too brown-- If it is cover with foil loosely.
- Bake until pudding is puffy all over and golden.
- Remove to rack to cool.
- Sauce-- In a saucepot over med.
- heat, melt the butter, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil, and remove from the heat.
- Whisk in the salt, vanilla, and milk.
- The sauce can be made ahead, then warmed in the microwave-- Cut cooled pudding into squares, and top each with hot sauce.
Join The Conversation