Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Hot Fruit Dessert Pudding from Australia
Make and share this Bread and Butter Pudding With Dates recipe from Food.com.
- 6 slices white bread, buttered
- 6 ounces dates, pitted and chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 ounces caster sugar
- 20 fluid ounces milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas mark 3. Grease a 7.5cm/3 inch deep ovenproof dish.
- Remove the crusts from the buttered bread and cut into quarters (triangles or squares).
- Place half in the bottom of the prepared dish sprinkle with the chopped dates then arrange the remaining bread triangles, buttered side up, over the dates.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk to hot but not boiling.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla and sugar then add the hot milk, stirring well.
- Slowly strain over the bread and fruit, being careful not to dislodge the top layer of bread.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a little extra sugar and grated nutmeg then bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the top is browned and crispy.
I really enjoyed this bread and butter pudding, having dates was really a nice change. I halved the recipe otherwise followed it exactly and I wouldn't change anything.