Bread and Butter Pudding With Dates
- Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas mark 3. Grease a 7.5cm/3 inch deep ovenproof dish.
- Remove the crusts from the buttered bread and cut into quarters (triangles or squares).
- Place half in the bottom of the prepared dish sprinkle with the chopped dates then arrange the remaining bread triangles, buttered side up, over the dates.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk to hot but not boiling.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla and sugar then add the hot milk, stirring well.
- Slowly strain over the bread and fruit, being careful not to dislodge the top layer of bread.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a little extra sugar and grated nutmeg then bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the top is browned and crispy.