Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Hot Fruit Dessert Pudding from Australia
Make and share this Bread and Butter Pudding With Dates recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas mark 3. Grease a 7.5cm/3 inch deep ovenproof dish.
- Remove the crusts from the buttered bread and cut into quarters (triangles or squares).
- Place half in the bottom of the prepared dish sprinkle with the chopped dates then arrange the remaining bread triangles, buttered side up, over the dates.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk to hot but not boiling.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla and sugar then add the hot milk, stirring well.
- Slowly strain over the bread and fruit, being careful not to dislodge the top layer of bread.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a little extra sugar and grated nutmeg then bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the top is browned and crispy.
I really enjoyed this bread and butter pudding, having dates was really a nice change. I halved the recipe otherwise followed it exactly and I wouldn't change anything.