Orange Bread With Dates
- Ready In:
- 1hr 8mins
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs; mix well.
- Combine flour, soda, and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in walnuts, dates, and orange peel.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350* for 60 minutes or until done.
- Combine glaze ingredients; spoon half over hot bread.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans.
- Spoon remaining glaze over.
Join The Conversation
Outstanding bread!! I admit that I didn't add dates but it came out amazing anyway. I made a full loaf of this for my father in-law's birthday and two mini loaves (you know, just to test) and they were barely out of the oven before I had to have a slice. I gave a piece to my husband and he ended up eating the rest of it! He said it was just like cake. Moist, rich, very flavorful. This would be good with candied ginger (but I need to try it with the dates, too!) I love the glaze, it's very much like candied orange peel (which would also be a gread add-in.) The only issue I had was that the glaze was still a bit gritty - maybe slowly heating to fully dissolve the sugar would avoid this - but that in no way detracted from the taste and the five star rating. Truly exceptional bread! This will indeed be a family staple.