Recipe by Lanagirl
From Saveur magazine, the secret is to keep pot covered while cooking.
Top Review by Chef Decadent1
You tried one of my recipes and I tried one of yours....we are definitely like minded...I love this red cabbage and it is delicious served with pork roast. Thanks for sharing:)Cheers!
- 6 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup port wine
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 large red cabbage, cored and finely shredded (about 3 lbs.)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup red currant jelly
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a large wide pot over medium-high heat until just crisp, about 5 minutes. Add sugar and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds more. Add onions and salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden and soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in apples, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until tender, 6–8 minutes.
- Add port, vinegar, and cabbage to the onion–apple mixture; stir to combine. Cover the pot and cook until cabbage is bright purple and slightly wilted, 5–7 minutes. Add stock and salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until cabbage is tender but still red, about 1 1⁄4 hours. Stir in red currant jelly, season with more salt and pepper, and cook briefly, 4–5 minutes more.