Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is traditionally served for Christmas dinner. The flavor improves if you prepare the dish a day in advance, refrigerate it, and then reheat it on the stove or in a 325° oven before serving. From Recipe Goldmine.
- 1 medium red cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons grated apples
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Wash cabbage, remove outer leaves, and cut in half lengthwise. Remove core. Slice or chop fine, using a knife or food processor.
- In a heavy 4- or 5-quart casserole, combine butter, sugar, salt, water and vinegar. Bring to a boil on the stove. Add cabbage and toss well to coat.
- Bring to a boil; cover casserole, and place in oven. Bake 2 hours. Check occasionally and add some water if all the liquid has cooked away.
- Ten minutes before cooking is finished, stir in jelly and apple; replace cover.