Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I made this for our dinner last night-it was good! The peas and potatoes made this an excellent one pot dish on a cold night.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (200 g) rabbit, legs seasoned with salt and pepper
- 75 g chorizo sausage, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped finely
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 440 g chopped Italian tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 small potatoes, skin on, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- two tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy based frying pan with a lid. Add the rabbit pieces and cook over a high heat, turning until browned all over. Remove to a plate.
- Add the chorizo, onion, garlic, carrot and clery and cooke over a medium heat until vegetables are well cooked (about 10 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, wine, water and thyme to the pan and bring to a boil. Return the legs to the pan and put the lid on. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours at a low simmer or until the rabbit is tender.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and cook a further 30 minutes (or until almost cooked through).
- Stir through the peas and cook a further 5 minutes or so.
- I leave the lid off in the final 10 minutes or so to make sure the sauce is a nice consistency.
- Ladle into a couple of shallow bowls and sprinkle the parsley over before serving.
Beautiful! I used some frozen rabbit fillets I bought recently and the only thing I changed was to use a frozen pea / corn mix rather than just the peas. I thought the chorizo was was a nice touch, along with seasoning well with pepper it gave it a wonderful tang that was great with the tomato and wine base.