Braised Rabbit With Wild Mushrooms
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
The Glory of Southern Cooking
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) rabbit, dressed and cut into serving pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh wild mushroom, rinsed and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chervil, leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large, heavy skillet, melt the butter over medium heat; add in the rabbit pieces (in batches, if necessary), brown on all sides, and transfer to a plate.
- Add in the onion, mushrooms, and garlic; cook/stir, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the wine and continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, beef broth, tarragon, and chevril; season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil, and let boil until the sauce begins to thicken, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Arrange rabbit pieces in a large, greased baking dish, pour the sauce over the top; cover and bake until the rabbit is fork tender and the sauce nicely thickened, 30-35 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION