Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Tender chicken with veggies. From Bon Appetit.
- 6 tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced or 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 green bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine or 1 cup sherry wine
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. Score an 'X' on the bottom of each tomato. Carefully place tomatoes into the boiling water, turn off the heat and let sit for about 1-2 minutes. Remove the tomatoes with a slotted spoon and peel the skin off. Chop tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes each side, adding more oil to pan as needed. Transfer chicken to platter.
- In same skillet, add onion, garlic and parsley and saute until onion is soft, scraping up any brown bits, about 5 minutes.
- Add green peppers, tomatoes and wine and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay chicken breasts on top of mixture. Cover and simmer over mediun-low heat for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook until chicken is tender and sauce is reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
Excellent chicken, full of aroma! I halfed the recipe and I browned the chicken and the onion at the time in the skillet. I had never add garlic in a tomato flavour chicken and it really made the difference. Thanks for posting!
I cut the recipe in half, and I used high-quality canned tomatoes since the fresh ones are not too pretty right now. It was fairly easy even though it takes a while to make. I used sherry wine. I felt like it was missing something though--next time I would add more garlic (but we LOVE garlic, lol) and maybe some extra herbs of some sort. Thanks for posting!