Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is the best ever Spare Ribs I have tried, The results are well worth the effort.
- 12 spareribs (bone in)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grapeseed oil or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped./
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine
- 6 cups veal stock or 6 cups beef stock
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).Season ribs to taste with salt and pepper.Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed ovenproof pan over high heat.Add the ribs and brown on all sides.Work in batches if you need to so that the ribs don't get crowded.
- Transfer the ribs to a plate.Add the onions,carrots and celery to the pan and saute,stirring often until lightly browned,about 5 min.Pour off excess fat,then add the wine,deglazing the pan,scraping all those yummy bits at the bottom of the pan.Reduce the wine by 3/4 until thick and slightly syrupy, about 15min.
- Return the ribs to the pan,add the stock and enough water to cover the ribs.Bring to a boil,cover with foil,and place in the oven.Braise,cooking in the oven until the meat is fork tender.2 - 2 1/2 hours.Allow the ribs to cool in the liquid,then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day,remove the excess fat that has solidified at the top of the pan.Place the pan with the ribs and cooking liquid over a medium heat,uncovered. Cook until liquid has reduced by 3/4, about 1 hour.Continue to cook,spooning the sauce over the ribs,until the sauce is thick and the ribs are glazed.Take care not to burn the glaze, move the ribs around in the pan to avoid burning -- Enjoy!
- Serve with mashed potato, rice or noodles.