Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is great for indoor and outdoor barbecuing--it's finger licking good.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄3 cup Bourbon
- In large, heavy saucepan, melt butter with oil and sauté onions until tender.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Combine molasses, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, lemon juice and zest, soy sauce, paprika, and bourbon.
- Stir in onion mixture.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool and refrigerate in covered container.