Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
An excellent chunky pasta sauce with beef, pork, lots of vegetables and tons of flavor. The carrots add a natural sweetness that balance the tartness of the tomatoes. Freeze any unused portions for later use. If you have fresh herbs, you may substitute 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil for the dried basil in this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb pasta
- In a large skillet, warm oil over medium heat and saute bacon until browned and crisp.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic until the onion is transluent . Do not let the garlic get too brown.
- In large saucepan, brown beef and pork.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in bacon, onions and garlic, mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine, stock, basil, oregano, salt and pepper to saucepan.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Serve sauce over hot pasta.