Recipe by oopsmakes3
This is from Bakefest 2003 little cookbook that I have. Haven't made it yet, but it looks sooo good.
Top Review by 1018594
This cake was delicious--good enough to eat without the frosting. The problem, however, was in the frosting ingredients--there is no lemon listed and yet the instructions tell you to add it. I guessed and put 3 Tbsp lemon juice plus the zest of 2 lemons and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Had a nice lemon flavor. I would definitely make this again.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake-and-pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh wild blueberries or 1 cup drained thawed wild blueberries
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softend
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 5 cups icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- CAKE: Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter two 9-inch round baking pans and line with Parchment Paper.
- Butter the paper and set aside.
- Cream butter and gradually beat in sugar until fluffy.
- Stir in egg yolks,lemon and vanilla.
- Blend flour with baking powder,baking soda and salt.
- Add to butter mixture in three additions alternating with the milk and beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry using clean beaters.
- Fold into batter.
- Divide batter between prepared baking pans.
- Sprinkle with berries.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cakes spring back when touched lightly.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pans.
- Turn out onto a rack and cool completely.
- FROSTING: Beat cream chesse until very smooth.
- Add butter and blend.
- Beat in lemon juice until there are no lunmps.
- Add icing sugar a little at a time and beat until smooth.
- Place one layer, botteon side up, on a cake plate and frost evenly.
- Add sencond layer, bottom side up, and frost.