1/2 Photos of Blueberry-Cornmeal Loaf Cake
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe was first introduced in Eating Well magazine (a must read for health-minded cooks). A big fan of the rich sweetness of cornmeal, this attracted me immediately and the recipe here is my adaptation. It is dense and moist and well-studded with berries. The cake tastes even better after resting for a day, so consider making it in advance. I really like this with the orange blossom water as it intensifies the orange while adding a slight floral note. But either orange or lemon juice work quite well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries (if using frozen, do not thaw) or 2/3 cup frozen blueberries (if using frozen, do not thaw)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour or 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking (sugar substitute)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water or 1 tablespoon orange juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Prepare loaf pan with a light coating of cooking spray.
- 2In a small bowl dust the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of flour. Set aside.
- 3Combine in a medium mixing bowl the flours, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- 4In another bowl combine the the yogurt and lemon juice.
- 5In a third bowl, mix together the Splenda, sugar, oil, egg and egg white. Make sure the egg is fully broken up and incorporated.
- 6Alternating between the dry mix and yogurt, blend into the sugar liquid bowl. Do not over mix, you just want to make sure everything is fully combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- 7Pour batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle with the 2 teaspoons of sugar and cinnamon.
- 8Bake for 25 minutes. Cover the cake with with a loose tent of aluminum foil. Bake an additional 25 to 35 minutes, until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 9Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a baking rack and allow the cake to cool to room temperature.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry-Cornmeal Loaf Cake
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.9
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 18.9 mg
- Sodium 139.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange blossom water