Prep 4 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Originally from "1001 Cookie Recipes"
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 1 cup blueberries
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar.
- Beat in the egg.
- Beat in the milk, almond extract and lemon rind.
- Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.Preheat oven to 375°.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls about 1-inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until pale golden.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- NOTES: Canned or frozen blueberries can be used, but fresh gives the best results.
I just made these, they're excellent! I didn't alter the recipe at all. Thanks! I will definitely make these again!!
Loved the flavor! i added nuts as was suggested, and that was the right touch. These make a puffy, soft cookie. Not too sweet, just a delicate blueberry taste. I omitted the lemon as my family does not like lemon. i will for sure make these again. most likely very soon as this batch is not lasting long!