Chocolate Chip Cookies (With Special Ingredient)
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (also known as Garbanzo beans or Ghana)
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a food in a food processor, chop chickpeas for 20 seconds until coarsely ground, add oats and chop for another 20 seconds until everything is in a uniform size.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer beat the sugar and butter with a wooden spoon or on medium speed until smooth.
- Beat in the egg whites and vanilla, then chickpeas and oat mixture.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed until thick dough forms.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop with a tablespoon and a half (1 inch) ice cream scoop onto a baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 1 inch apart.
- Press gently with your fingers or a fork to flatten. These cookies do not spread out.
- Bake until the cookies are golden brown and just set, 11 to 13 minutes, do not overbake.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!