Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Need I say any more?
- 226.79 g butter, plus extra
- butter, for dish
- 566.99 g elbow macaroni
- 473.18 ml double cream
- 473.18 ml whole milk
- 118.29 ml onion, diced (1 small onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml flour
- 1419.54 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 473.18 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 44.37 ml Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- ground pepper
- 118.29 ml seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter a 9x13x4-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat and cook macaroni until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cream and milk.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the 1/2 pound of butter and cook the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 6 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- Add the cream mixture in a steady stream and whisk until smooth.
- Bring to boil, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in 4 cups of the cheddar, 1 cup of the grated parmesan, the Tabasco and cumin.
- Stir until the cheese has melted (the sauce will be very thick and creamy).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in macaroni.
- Pour the mixture into prepared dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar and parmesan and finally bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes or until bubbling and brown on top.
I have to say this recipe exceeded my expectations. I'm not a big fan of macaroni & cheese but my husband loves it. I made this one because I liked the sound of the tabasco sauce. It turned out super cheesey and super tasty. Thanks.
I made this for my boyfriend who loves traditional Mac n' Cheese, he cleaned his plate and wanted more! Thank you!