Recipe by DrGaellon
Adapted from a recipe by rcheiss at allrecipes.com. Beef short ribs braised with Bloody Mary mix and red wine. If you like it spicy, add more horseradish and hot sauce. You can save 100 calories and 15 grams of fat per serving by using beef brisket instead of short ribs.
- 4 lbs beef short ribs
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 2 leeks, sliced (white portion only)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups bottled bloody mary mix
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 20 small mushrooms, stems removed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Season short ribs with salt and pepper. In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add ribs in one layer, working in batches if necessary. Brown ribs on all sides, then transfer to a plate, tent with foil and set aside.
- Add onion and leeks to drippings in pan. Saute 3-5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and saute another 1 minute until fragrant. Return the short ribs to the pot. Pour over wine, stock, tomatoes and Bloody Mary mix. Tuck carrot chunks in amongst the ribs. Bring to a boil, cover, and place pot in oven.
- After 2 hours, add mushroom caps, re-cover, and return to the oven for another hour.
- Alternatively, after browning meat and sauteing vegetables, combine all ingredients in crockpot and cook on low 6-8 hours.