Recipe by gailanng
Can sub your favorite blackening seasoning and the fish is interchangable.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made for New Kids on the Block tag game and Bounce the Ball for Summer Fun tag game...what a winner. I made it for just the two of us (cutting it down) and followed the instructions using hoagie rolls. P.S. I did add sliced red onions on my sandwich...love onions!) Thank you,
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika (plus the 1 teaspoon below)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (8 ounce) catfish fillets (or tilapia or salmon)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 French baguettes or 4 hoagie rolls, split and toasted
- tartar sauce
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- tomatoes, slices
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder and sugar. (You can omit this step and use your favorite packaged blackening spice mix.).
- Pat catfish fillets dry with paper towels. Brush lightly with oil, then season well with salt and pepper. Sprinkle liberally with blackening spice mix, gently pressing spices onto fish to adhere.
- Coat bottom of a large, non-stick frying pan with vegetable oil. Heat over medium-high heat until oil is shimmering. Add catfish and fry until cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side. Do not overcrowd pan. Work in batches and keep warm in a low oven.
- Spread toasted rolls with tartar sauce. Place one fillet on each roll, then top with lettuce and tomato. Serve immediately.