Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A Bobby Flay recipe in the March 2009 edition of EveryDay with Rachael Ray. Cooking time is resting time for the blackberry/sugar mixture. Beware. . .I felt these were VERY strong, so you may want to cut back on the amount of bourbon if you are wimpy like me!!!
- 473.19 ml fresh blackberries, rinsed and dried
- 118.29 ml superfine sugar (I subbed Splenda with great results)
- 2.46 ml pure vanilla extract
- 1 large bunch mint
- crushed ice
- 236.59 ml Bourbon
- seltzer water, chilled (I subbed diet lemon lime soda with great results)
- In a small bowl, mash together the blackberries, sugar and vanilla and let sit at room temperature until juicy, about 20 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve into a bowl, pressing against the solids with a rubber spatula; discard the seeds.
- For each drink, place about 3 tablespoons of the blackberry syrup and 8 mint leaves into a cocktail glass and muddle together using the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Fill with crushed ice, 1/4 cup bourbon and a splash of seltzer. Garnish with a mint sprig.
We enjoyed this drink as we watched the Kentucky Derby, but we will definitely be making these more than once a year now! This was delicious. As JanuaryBride states, it is STRONG. I ended up adding another tablespoon of the blackberry mixture and a little more sugar to mine and I thought it was perfect. The blackberry mixture is so tasty!!!! Thanks for a wonderful new drink recipe. :) ~Made for the May Aussie/NZ Swap~