Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
It was so hard for me to decide if I preferred blackberry or cherry preserves so I combined the two and came up with an absolutely delicious combination. This is scrumptious served over vanilla ice cream and topped with crumbled baked pie crust.
- Rinse blackberries and cherries.
- Press blackberries through a sieve or a food mill to remove the seeds.
- Stem cherries and remove pits.
- Coarsely chop cherries in a food processor.
- Combine blackberries, chopped cherries, pectin, lemon juice and butter in large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar all at once and return to a boil.
- Bring to a boil that cannot be stirred down and boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add almond extract.
- Let sit for 5 minutes stirring every 30 seconds.
- Ladle into sterilized jars using the USDA guidelines for water bath canning leaving a 1/4" headspace.
- Wipe rims and place lids and screw rings on jars.
- Place jars in water bath canner and make sure you have at least 1-2 inches of water covering the jars.
- Place lid on pot and bring to a hard rolling boil (do not remove lid).
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, remove lid from pot and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove jars from pot and set aside to seal and cool.