Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
this is a most elegant pie with the silkiest texture...the one thing to remember about custard pies is not to overbake them...they will turn tough and grainy..I have made this with frozen berries as well..use about a 12 oz bag, thawed..it is awesome with red rapsberries...
- 2 cups fresh black raspberries
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
- fresh berries
- mint leaf
- preheat the oven to 425*.
- in a blender or food processor, puree the berries, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the seeds.
- in a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs, stir in the cream, sugar, vanilla, salt and berry puree.
- mix until thoroughly blended.
- pour the filling into the pie shell -- and bake for 10 minutes.
- lower the heat to 325* --
- and continue baking for 35 minutes longer or until the filling jiggles slightly in the center (but does not ripple in waves)
- transfer the pie to a wire rack and let it cool completely.
- cover the pie loosely with foil and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving --
- garnish the top with a few berries and mint sprigs.
- ***NOTE> you want just a little wobbliness left in the center of the pie when it first comes out of the oven.as it cools, it will firm up -- .