Recipe by threeovens
I was looking through my fridge and realized that I had some fresh cherries that I needed to use up. What to do, what to do? I decided to pair it with ham that I also needed to use up. I had ham steaks, you can use sliced deli ham as well. Just don't cut it up, layer it on. You could also use dried cherries or frozen for this sandwich. I like the peppery arugula against the sweet cherries.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cherries, stemmed pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard or 1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ounces ham (I used diced ham steak, but thinly sliced deli ham is fine too)
- 2 slices bread
- 1⁄4 cup baby arugula
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine cherries, mustard, green onion, and mayonnaise; season with a pinch of salt and a grind or two of pepper.
- If using diced ham steak, stir it into the sandwich spread to coat.
- If using sliced deli ham, do nothing.
- To assemble: Place mixture on a slice of bread, top with arugula and close bread (ham steak).
- For sliced deli ham: Spread mixture on two slices of bread, layer in ham, and a handful of arugula; close sandwich.