Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is soooo good. Yes 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract is correct.
Make and share this Black Forest Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3 eggs
- 354.88 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml canola oil
- 354.88 ml milk
- 29.58 ml vanilla extract
- 709.77 ml flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 236.59 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 595.33 g can cherry pie filling
- 236.59 ml Bisquick
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 59.14 ml butter
- 118.29 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs; add the sugar, oil, milk and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour and baking powder (mixture will be thin), when blended add the chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased 13x9x2 baking pan.
- Drop cherry pie filling by the teaspoonfuls in even rows into the batter.
- With a pastry blender combine the bisquick, sugar and butter to form loose crumbs, add the chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake 375' for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until cake is golden brown and when tested done with toothpick.
I didn't rate this because I made some significant changes to the recipe. This is a nice idea, but each layer is so sugary it is overkill to me. I found that the flavors just didn't blend like they do in a black forest cake. However, I brought this to a german class and got positive feedback. So for those who could stand to OD on sugar, chocolate chips, and cherries, go for it, otherwise, skip dessert.
I am happy to be the first reviewer of this beautiful coffee cake. I made this for our church coffee hour. It sliced up nicely and looked great on a platter. It went very fast! I might try apple pie filling next time and omit the chocolate chips. Roxygirl update: 5/7 made the cake again using apple pie filling and adding tsp. cinnamon to the Bisquick topping. Served it for coffee hour. This was so scrumptious!!! I think this is the BEST coffee cake! I can tell I'll be making it a lot. Thanks Leeza!
I LOVED this coffee cake and I don't normally like fruit mixed with chocolate. It was so good! More like a rich cookie or a bar...which is fine with me because it's perfect for breakfast, dessert and a midnight snack!