Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe won $400 in a contest for "desserts for a crowd".
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 12 ounces dark rye bread (bread sliced 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 (12 ounce) packagepitted frozen dark sweet cherries (you can also use a 16 oz. package)
- 2 (12 ounce) packages semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- whipped cream (opptional)
- sliced almonds (optional)
- Butter a 3 quart rectangular baking dish with some of the butter.
- Spread remaining butter on bread slices.
- Place bread slices in baking dish, overlapping, if necessary, to fit.
- Sprinkle with frozen cherries, half the chocolate pieces, and the cinnamon; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine remaining chocolate pieces, 1 cup of the whipping cream, and the sugar. Heat and stir till the chocolate is melted. Gradually stir in remaining cream.
- Beat eggs in a very large bowl.
- Stir in melted chocolate mixture and almond extract.
- Slowly pour over bread in dish.
- Cover and chill 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Uncover bread pudding and place baking dish on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 70 to 80 minutes or until an instant read thermometer register 160 degrees when inserted into middle.
- Cool on a wire rack at least 45 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Garnish with whipped cream and almonds.