Prep 8 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Better made ahead for the tastes to meld. Enjoy for a light summer dinner! Note: The last 6 ingredients are listed here and on Grapefruit Vinaigrette Grapefruit Vinaigrette if you want to try it separately!
- 1 1⁄2 cups black-eyed peas, drained (soaked overnight)
- 1 quart ham hock broth or 1 quart water
- salt, to taste
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, finely diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded, finely diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded, finely diced
- 1 large purple onion, minced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fresh mint or 1 teaspoon tarragon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh chervil, chopped
- 4 red grapefruits, sections removed (peeled)
- 8 fresh cilantro stems, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1⁄2 cup walnut oil
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the drained black-eyed peas in a saucepan with the ham hock broth or water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, 45 minutes-1 hour. Toward the end of the cooking time, taste the peas and season with salt. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon over medium high heat until all the fat is rendered. Transfer the bacon to a large mixing bowl and add the crabmeat, vegetables, peas, and herbs. Mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Mix together last 6 ingredients to make the grapefruit vinaigrette.
- Combine the salad with the vinaigrette. Mound the tossed salad on a large serving platter, leaving at least 2 inches around the edge of the platter.
- Arrange the grapefruit sections around the salad, and garnish the grapefruit sections with the cilantro springs.