1/1 Photo of Black Bean Enchiladas (Gluten Free and Vegan)
1 hr 15 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
This recipe is very tasty and I like that it is gluten free. I have tweaked it and made it my own. I always try to buy Organic as I don't want the chemicals and GMO on my plate, which some corn has. Besides, the food just tastes better. I doubled the recipe and I made my own tortillas and cooked the dry beans in my pressure cooker. But you can buy the canned beans and ready made tortillas. It will save you a lot of time if you do. The sauce that goes with this is called Charred Tomato Sauce. You should make this as it really compliments the dish. I even added some Salas to my sauce to kick the flavour up a notch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 (12 ounce) cans black beans (drained, rinsed and lightly mashed)
- 1 bunch scallion (minced)
- 5 ounces frozen corn (thawed)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (I used Mexican)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 -2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 10 ounces monterey jack cheese (crumbled-I used Vegan cheese)
FOR THE CHARRED TOMATO SAUCE (warmed)
- 1Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the garlic and peppers for 3 to 4 minutes. Peppers should stay crunchy. Remove from the heat.
- 2Stir in the mashed beans, corn, scallions, herbs, vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 3Heat a non-stick skillet. Soften each corn tortilla before filling it by placing in the hot skillet and swirling it around for 30 seconds on each side. Dip the tortilla into the warmed Charred Tomato Sauce.
- 4NOTE: I didn't dip mine, I held the tortilla in my hand and put the sauce onto it with a ladle then swirled it around like you would sauce on a pizza. I found this easier. You use less sauce as well.
- 5Lay the tortilla into the baking dish or a plate and put 2 tablespoons of the bean mixture and a little cheese on it then roll up and put seam side down into the dish you are going to bake this inches.
- 6Continue filling and rolling the tortillas until you are done repeating the above steps.
- 7I poured the remaining sauce I had over the enchiladas and sprinkled it with more cheese.
- 8I baked my casserole at 350 for 40 minutes. Best to check after 30 minutes as my oven is slow, and you don't want to burn this.
- 9If you make these the day ahead store in the fridge then bake when you are going to eat them.
- 10You can serve these with Sour Cream if you wish.
- 11Bon Appetit.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Enchiladas (Gluten Free and Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.8
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 29.7 mg
- Sodium 327.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 16.0 g