Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a favorite of mine. Adapted from Light and Tasty.
Make and share this Black Bean Chicken Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups Mexican blend cheese, divided
- sour cream (optional)
- chopped green onion (optional)
- sliced ripe olives (optional)
- Saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender.
- Mix in the tomatoes, salsa, cumin, salt, oregano and pepper.
- Add beans and chicken and heat through.
- Spread a third of the mixture into a 13x 9 pan coated with cooking spray.
- Layer with four tortillas, a third of the chicken mixture and 1 cup cheese.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream, green onions or olives if desired.
Wonderful casserole! It is flavorful and delicious. I served with the suggested sour cream. Thanks for sharing!
Made this to take to yet another holiday potluck we were invited to & to make it a bit more festive, I served it with dollops of sour cream that were sprinkled with a combo of chopped green onions & finely diced red pepper! I declared it a big hit when I brought up the tail end of the food line & there was hardly any left! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
This was a very good casserole. I used 3 cups of cooked black beans, and a mild salsa (b/c of the kiddos). Thanks for sharing.