Amy's Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole
photo by Big Daddys Cookin
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 (10 ounce) cans red enchilada sauce, medium heat
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces low-fat sour cream
- 4 1⁄2 ounces diced green chili peppers, drained
- 16 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded low-fat monterey jack cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and chicken for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Continue to sauté until chicken is thoroughly cooked through, about 10 more minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the cilantro, then gently fold in the rice and black beans.
- In a sauce pan over low-medium heat, stir together 1-10 oz. can of enchilada sauce, the cream cheese, sour cream and chili peppers. Remove from heat when fully incorporated. Add sauce to chicken mixture.
- Spray the bottom of a 10x13 baking dish. Place 6 tortillas on the bottom of the pan, overlapping them to make a solid row of tortillas.
- Spoon half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas and sprinkle on ¾ cup cheese. Layer again with 6 tortillas, the rest of the chicken mixture, followed by ¾ cup cheese. Cover casserole with 4 tortillas, the second 10 oz. can of enchilada sauce and then sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil (I spray the inside cover so the cheese doesn’t stick) and bake for 45 minutes in a preheated 375 degree F oven. Remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until nicely browned on top.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was an excellent recipe I used leftover Knorr Spanish rice instead because the was what I had. I also used dried cilantro and dressed the top up with diced tomatoes and green onions as you will see in the picture I posted. Otherwise I followed it to a T. It was yummy and I received a lot of compliments. 5 Stars from me.
see 3 more reviews