- 2 tablespoons coarse-ground black pepper
- 2 (1/2 lb) beef steak, about 1 pound (rib roast or rib eye roast)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 2 2⁄3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 leaves buckwheat groats (to garnish, or cress leaves)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat the coarse-ground black pepper onto both sides of the beef until the meat is well coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the garlic, and saute until fragrant.
- Add the meat and cook until browned on both sides.
- Add the sugar, mirin, and soy sauce, and cook until the liquid thickens and coats the meat.
- Cut the meat into bite-sized cubes and arrange on a serving dish.
- Garnish with the buckwheat or cress leaves.