Recipe by Big John
This is a fairly hot dish. Regular hot sauce can be used in the place of Habanero sauce. But Why?
Top Review by Monica Livesay
I made this as an appetizer for my husband for Valentines Day. He seemed to really like it.I followed the directions, but the oysters were a little rubbery. Recipe is a keeper though.
- 1 quart oyster, with juice (medium Size)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 whole eggs, beaten slightly
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons habanero sauce
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup hot pepper oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain oysters, reserving the liquid.
- Mix oyster liquid, eggs, hot sauce and milk.
- Mix cornmeal, cajun seasoning, cayenne and baking powder.
- Saute oysters in butter until edges curl.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Dip oysters first in liquid, then dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Fry oysters in hot pepper oil for three minutes over medium heat, turning once, they are done when golden brown.
- Remove, drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.