Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 lbs sirloin steaks
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (6 ounce) canof sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cans condensed beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup instant minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups sour cream
- 8 ounces medium noodles
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- Cut meat across the grain into ¾-inch slices, then into strips 3 x ¼ inch.
- Melt ¼ cup butter in a large skillet.
- Cook and stir mushrooms in butter about 5 minutes; remove mushrooms.
- In same skillet, brown meat.
- Reserving 2/3 cup of broth, stir in remaining broth, the onion, ketchup and garlic powder.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Blend reserved broth and the flour; stir into meat.
- Add mushrooms; heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in sour cream and heat through.
- Cook noodles as directed on package; drain.
- Toss with 3 tablespoons butter and serve with stroganoff.
From Betty Crocker's Recipe Box (c.1971) - Men's Favorites. I have been using this recipe for many, many years. It has become the traditional celebratory meal for Father's Day and my Dad's birthday. When my oldest son joins us, I have to double the recipe! I don't think the family would allow me to serve any thing else for these two occasions!<br/><br/>I follow the recipe exactly and it is delicious. I have found in the past few years that I have had to use one can of beef broth and one can of beef consommé in order to achieve a thicker sauce. [Not sure if the formula of the beef broth I was using has changed or what.]
One of the first recipes I ever made!! Excellent and easy....still a family favorite all these years later. We sometimes put it over Beef Rice a Roni for a different twist!
This is a family favorite at our house and we actually use ground beef which is cheaper than the sirloin. And everyone thinks it tastes better as leftovers, so I make it a day ahead and serve it the following day. A must try recipe!