Recipe by Chef-Betsy
I first had this when I was working in a mall in the early 1990's. This is my version that I've been eating ever since.
Top Review by Danielle F.
Very good sandwich! I put it on a whole wheat wrap, omitted the mayo, and used organic mustard and romaine lettuce. YUM! This is better than the stuff you get when you eat out. Thanks for the post!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped (purple or yellow onion ok)
- 3 -4 ounces mushrooms, sliced (1/3 of a 10 oz bag of pre-sliced)
- 4 ounces black olives, sliced (4 - 5 oz CAN)
- 2 slices swiss cheese (pre-sliced, deli-style)
- 1 slice provolone cheese (pre-sliced, deli-style)
- 2 sandwich buns (hoagies, steak rolls, any sliced sandwich roll)
- lettuce (optional)
- tomatoes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the sandwich rolls by slathering mayonnaise on them. (if you like less mayonnaise than "slathering", by all means, use less, or use light mayo if you also prefer.).
- Melt butter in large saute pan over med-high heat.
- Saute green pepper and onion together, until starting to soften.
- Add mushrooms, breaking the slices up into smaller pieces while doing so.
- Saute this mixture for another couple minutes until mushrooms start to soften.
- Now add the sliced olives.
- Stir it all around a bit, until the olives are heated through.
- Now divide it into 2 portions, each on one side of the pan.
- Turn heat to low and put 1 slice of swiss cheese and 1/2 of a slice of provolone cheese over each portion.
- Let melt and turn off heat.
- Using a spatula, slide portions (one at a time) into their respective sandwich rolls. Some may fall out so put it back in!
- Now add your preferred amount of lettuce and tomato and dig in!
- **NOTE** You can just use swiss cheese, and omit the provolone and it's just as tasty.