Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have a friend who smacks his lips when I serve this and my daughter is notorious for eating this for breakfast!!! I have to hide it if I want any leftovers for supper the next day!!! My crisps are chock full of fruit...I never measure the fruit. I "eye ball" the blueberries...then add enough apple to give colour. I have used this topping for peach/blueberry, raspberry/rhubarb/apple, rhubarb/blueberry or basically use up all the frozen fruit I have in my freezer. I serve this with frozen vanilla ice cream or yogurt. This recipe could be cut in half quite successfully
- 3 -4 apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 -6 cups blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (depending on tartness of fruit) (optional)
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Choose baking dish. Add enough blueberries to come 1/3 to 1/2 up the dish, keep in mind that the blueberries will "shrink" when cooked.
- If frozen, thaw them slightly. Flour could be added to thicken the frozen blueberries if desired. Add sugar if the fruit is tart, but the topping is sweet enough that it is not needed. Cut enough apples (depending on size) into the blueberries to give colour -- making sure that you have enough room for the topping
- Topping: Combine flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix well. Cut butter into flour/oat mixture until coarse crumbs.
- Spread over apple/blueberry mixture and bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes or until the fruit is cooked.
- To serve: I usually make the crisp up earlier in the day. Before serving, I put the crisp in the oven at 250 for 15 - 20 minutes or until warmed, then serve it with ice cream.
A lovely recipe... the crumb topping is particularly nice. I added sugar to the fruit, but really don't think you need to. Good advice about the flour coating; the frozen blueberries can get a little runny when thawed/cooked. Would love to try it with fresh, just to see the difference. Goes really well with fresh homemade whipped cream. Thanks for posting ~ my hubby and I really enjoyed this! :)
This was a fabulous recipe. The proportions were perfect, though i added some cinnamon to the berries and the apples. My guests loved it and I will make it again.