Recipe by Sackville
Like all great recipes involving beer, with this one you open a can, pour half in the recipe, and drink the other half. Perfect!
Top Review by tigerduck
I needed a few bites to get used to the beer-dressing, but after that it was quite nice. I had this salad for lunch and two people wanted to try a little bit and said it was nice. I find the bacon crucial in this recipe - I guess I would have rated it lower without it. The bacon goes well with the beer. I would add more onion another time, although I don't think I will make it again. This salad would make a nice side dish to a strong sausage. I made this salad for the Zaar World Tour 2 and I found it fun experimenting with a beer dressing.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup beer, any lager-type brand (avoid very heavy beers like Guinness)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes in medium-size saucepan until just tender.
- Peel and slice.
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Break into small pieces and mix with onion, celery and salt; set aside.
- Stir melted butter and flour in a small saucepan until blended.
- Add mustard and sugar.
- Slowly stir in beer and Tabasco sauce.
- Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- When it reaches a boil, remove from the heat and pour over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, toss lightly and let stand one hour.
- Add bacon mixture, toss gently and serve.