Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
These onions are great with burgers (try it with my Chicago Beer Burgers).They can be cooked ahead, cooled and kept in the fridge. When you need them, simmer them gently. When they are hot, add a splash of beer to perk up the flavour.
- 1⁄2 ounce unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 fluid ounces beer
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the onions and cook until tender.
- Add 6 fl oz beer, sugar and salt. Cook approx 16/18 minutes until the beer is absorbed and the onions are starting to brown.
- Add the remaining beer and simmer gently.
- Serve warm to accompany burgers.
Delicious! They taste great on everything!
So delicious and so easy to make. While we don't drink beer, I keep it on hand for occasions such this as I love to cook with it. These onions really went well with your Chicago Beer Burgers. Made for PRMR, August 2013.
I had these with the Chicago Beer Burgers and they were great. The beer combined with the caramelization has a zen-like quality that it gives the onions. I do recommend this on every burger!