Stifado (Spiced Braised Beef & Onions)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
3 lbs. beef
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 lbs beef, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups beef broth (can use water)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 cinnamon stick (4-inch)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs white pearl onions
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- Heat oil in a heavy frying pan over moderate heat until smoking.
- Pat beef cubes completely dry with paper towels before browning quickly in hot oil; brown 3 or 4 batches, turning frequently with slotted spoon and regulating heat so meat browns a deep color without burning.
- Transfer beef to a heavy 6-quart casserole.
- Add water, tomato paste, vinegar, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper to pan drippings in beefs original skillet; bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, scrape brown particles clinging to the bottom and sides of pan; pour scrapings over meat in casserole.
- Bring meat and liquid to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover casserole tightly and simmer 1 1/4 hours.
- Meanwhile, peel onions and add to casserole at the end of 1 1/4 hours; cover and cook 30 minutes longer, or until beef and onions are tender.
- Stir in cheese; simmer, uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese softens and is heated through.
- Taste to correct seasonings. Serve directly from casserole.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/my3chefs2009final-1.jpg"> src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">