Canadian Burger With Beer-Braised Onions and Cheddar
A Classic Canadian Burger, with a slight twist. Serve with your favourite accompaniments, on grilled buns or bread. Recipe by Ruth Gangbar from Food and Drink.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup beer
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh ground beef or 1 1/2 lbs ground round
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
For the Beer-Braised Onions:
- Melt the butter in a large heavy skillet.
- Add the onions and cook while stirring frequently over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tender.
- Add 3/4 cup beer and the sugar, and cook until beer is absorbed and the onions become lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
For the burgers:
- Pre-heat the barbeque on high.
- In a large bowl, gently but thoroughly combine the beef, garlic, red pepper, 1/4 cup beer, dijon, salt and pepper.
- Form into 4 patties 1" thick, and place on the grill, turning heat down to medium.
- Grill them for 4-6 minutes per side, or until nearly the desired doneness.
- Top each burger with 1/2 cup grated cheese, and heat till slightly melted.
- Serve on toasted buns and top each with the beer-braised onions.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION